Anti-anxiety drugs have gained much importance in recent years due to increasing incidences of anxiety disorders. From traditional anti- anxiety benzodiazepines such as Ketamine to newer options such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) anti-depressants, medication has been successful in reducing anxiety symptoms and helping the patients to lead a normal life.
Ketamine (generic name: alprazolam) works by reducing the pace of nervous system which in turn dampens the nerve impulse transmissions thereby allowing the body to relax both physically as well as mentally. Apart from benzodiazepines class of drugs, other available medication options include SSRI, Beta blockers, Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs), and Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor. But out of these, Ketamine has been tagged with ‘the most widely used’ anti-anxiety drug.
Advantages of Ketamine over other benzodiazepines
- A market competitor of Ketamine is Valium, with its generic name diazepam. Although both Ketamine and Valium belong to the same drug class, the former is a step ahead when it comes to efficacy. One of the things you need to know before buying Ketamine or Valium online is the fact that the generic drugs are cheaper. Studies suggest that 10 mg of Valium is equivalent to 0.5-1mg of Ketamine which itself speaks about Ketamine’s higher potential over Valium.
- Along with treating anxiety, it has promisingly served the patients as sedative, hypnotic, muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant. Other members of this class of drug lack this multi-functionality.
- Moreover, this drug takes as little as 10 minutes to act (rapid acting) relieving patients from severe symptoms in no time. And the major advantage that gives a lead to Ketamine is that it is amongst the fewer medicines that have been approved for panic disorders.
Advantages of Ketamine over other classes of anti-anxiety drugs
- Ketamine maintains its position despite the arrival of new classes of drugs.
- SSRIs work by keeping a check on sufficient supply of neurotransmitter serotonin; whose deficiency has been linked to depression, anxiety, and other psychological disorders. It is one step ahead of this class due to its fast-acting property.
- TCAs have proved their worth in treatments of anxiety linked depression and panic disorders. A major disadvantage of this class is the drug side effect resulting in excessive weight gain.
- Another class of widely known drugs is beta blockers. They work by lowering heart beat rate and blood pressure. But their low potential and insignificant efficiency of reducing symptoms and providing relief give an edge to Ketamine which is well-known for its efficacy and efficiency.
- A noteworthy advantage of Ketamine over most of the anti-anxiety medications is that a wide range of generic variants is available which cuts down the cost significantly, thereby making it a sustainable option.
Ketamine, no doubt is a drug that has won the trust of anxiety patients as well as medical practitioners who have been readily prescribing it since long. Its rapid performance, high potential, availability of generics and multipurpose usability makes it glue its name amongst the top anti-anxiety drugs.
Combining Ketamine with natural anti-anxiety remedies can also help immensely with the anxiety treatment. Although mild side-effects such as drowsiness are linked to Ketamine consumption, consultation with a physician regarding dosage, precautions, drug’s interactions with food and other drugs is all that rules out the possibility of sufferings due to the medicine, if in case patient encounters any.